Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Buzzard Luck

Over here buzzard is used not just for the unfeathered heads of carrion feeders but also for hawks. Nonetheless whenever I drive past the hawk on his perch overlooking the road just hoping for a dead rabbit, I am transported back to the many cartoon images of buzzards. A misspent youth nae doot.

When I drove into the village still clinging to the hope that the weather would clear enough for a walk around the harbour, I knew my hope was in vain when the buzzard unhurriedly rose into the air. Not even the prospect of road kill was enough to keep him perched there in the cold, wet wind.

No bird brain this buzzard.

4 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

The weather has closed in now and I doubt your buzzard is out much today nor the weekend, but I am and hope to see you then :-D, I have a post in my back garden that has played host to various birds of prey including for one wonderful summer a large owl! before we had cats again or they would have stalked it, it is still around as it gave Tom a scare last autumn when it swooped over his head in the dusk in the square, silent but very large and just above his head :-D.
lol ruan

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I doubt he had a warm fire or a wee dram back at his nest....

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Ah, Ruan. More than month since that post and comment. Mebbe this week we can get together? I'm trying to carve out enough time to get back to States. So very homesick.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, Cur, up here even the buzzards have their drams.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home