Sunday, January 23, 2011

Just Ahead of the Rain Clouds

Last week the newsreader said the pundits said January 17th was the gloomiest day and then gave a precis of the pseudoscientific reasoning behind it, as if we don't have enough to be gloomy about on our own. As is often the case up here, the picture post card day belied the "experts" yet again. Truth in advertising compels me to say that not every day up here is like a picture post card, but many of them are. And after many days of grey and cold and wet and cold and grey and all variations in between, we had glorious albeit short lived sunlight.

Everyone I met was at least three shades more cheerful than the day before and we all had different yardsticks for measuring better. I was able to do some yoga poses despite having been away from class for more than 2 months that I had not been able to do before. So for me standing on one leg while grasping the big toe of my other foot was a great milestone.

A friend of mine who collects driftwood for sculpture and art projects was chuffed that she was able to bring back three planks and a branch from their discovery on he beach. Definite success.

Another friend was chuffed to be out in the garden and seeing the results of last year's planting.

Today, however, I heard that Jan 24 is now being touted as the gloomiest day of the year. We have a docile grey day today, so I opened windows to let the air inside--stale and too full of winter--escape. The sun is lopwering, the clouds are coming on, but the air is delicious. Languorous with just a hint of the rain to come. I am buffered for whatever tomorrow has to offer.

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

It has been an odd day, my whole family has been doing most of the day, couldnt sit and do nothing. The very air outside had all of us outside as one time of other and yes we also had open windows. I think a gloomy day is not a date or even a dull overcast day but more a state of mind which hasnt shown its self this year. And good on you for the Yoga :-D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home