Sunday, August 11, 2013

Time Out for Heather

I remember years ago my sister in law telling me that someone had said that she had not really seen Scotland unless she had seen a hill full of heather in bloom.  I resisted thinking that because it seemed so Brigadoonish, but I have lived here long enough now to feel the truth of that.

Ironically, less than 24 hours after submitting my article for this week's Caithness Courier in which I proudly proclaim that I do not sing that song about walking through the heather on the hill, I was tromping knee deep in heather and sang to my companion along with accompaniment of a lark.

We were in the heather--all three types are in bloom now-- looking for something in the ground.  A probable broch site (iron age North Atlantic round house is more correct term actually) shows up plainly on Google earth and we wanted to have a close look at it.

I resisted taking photos of the heather at first because it is impossible to get anything like the real feeling (cue the Brigadoon chorus), but succumbed and did my best with my wee camera on smart setting. You'll have to imagine the fragrance for yourself, alas, until you come to visit.

5 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

Oh nice heather, but did you find the broch?

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Wish I could see the heather--and the broch, for that matter!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Wish I could see the heather--and the broch, for that matter!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

We did find site of presumed broch and tho some stones missing, it really has that shape of a broch that we know so well. The archaeologists get their money from building sites--that pre-build survey was the backbone of AOC's budget, so lacking that they cannot excavate so many of the sites up here or put Caithnesson the map the way Orkney does.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, Amy, come on over. You have not seen new house or so many new things. you would love the Saturday bunch of knitters and my Tuesday pals and my writer buddies. I know many strong and interesting women now of all flavours--you'd fit in and we wouldn't make you knit or write unless you wanted to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home