Thursday, August 08, 2013

First Fruits

A handful of black currants seems like quite a bounty since last year any berries were snarfed by the birds, but it does pose a culinary challenge.  What do you do with only a handful of the roly poly tart little treasures?

I chose to lightly cook them by pouring just enough water from the kettle to cover them. Yesterday I had talked with folks who know a great deal more about black currants than I do, so I waded in with a little bit of knowledge. The skins gave way, as I was told they should if they were properly ripe, and the water turned properly purple, so then came the question of how much sugar?

One timid tablespoon full did not make a dent on their purpling sourness.  I hopped around the kitchen after my first tentative taste and heaped in another tablespoon.

Then I boldly added some porridge, some  raspberries, and some leftover brown rice--hey presto a quasi crumble rice pudding.

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

yum!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

They were yummy, surprisingly so. But you know I believe inhappy accidents of creation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home