Monday, April 12, 2010

Rock On


Ms Piggy asked for more rocks, so here is a photo of my latest pet rocks, plucked from the waves at Portskerra.

Today, fortunately, was a little grey and dampish--a mizzly kind of day. The cool grey air was almost a relief after the glorious bright days we have had. I think Caithnessians are a little like the folks Garrison Keillor talks about in Lake Woebegone: too much sunshine would be too much for our constitutions.

As I was trying to photograph these two, I was reminded of Annie Dillard's essay about trying to teach a stone to talk. It took me several tries to get a decent photo. As soon as I remembered the lesson of that essay--patience--I was able to get the job done.

Now I have to set aside my pet rocks, blogging, knitting, and all other diversions because I have heads down work to do. I'll be back in a few days.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Blogger Amy said...

The moss green is gorgeous! I like the red and the stripes too. Rocks rock.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Hayden said...

Humm. I don't remember that essay. Any chance you remember which book it was in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home