Thursday, March 18, 2010

Snowdrops by the Roadside

I was so busy looking at my lovely lichens that I nearly tripped over these snowdrops in a lonely wee clump by the gate into a field. I don't know if they were planted by purpose but they look like a happy accident.

A happy accident twice over. I had seen on my walk a lovely set of snowdrops in a field by a house. I was thinking how I might screw up the courage to knock on the door and ask if I could dig up a few of them in exchange for helping them divide the many clumps that have grown too initmate for flowering.

I was practicing these scripts in my head and trying to find my confident self when these wee orphans appeared nearly underfoot. Galanthus nivalis--the little green edge is the defining touch.

So tomorrow I'll take a couple bags with me--one to collect some bits of roadside flotsam and another to collect a few of these treasures. I miss the sweep of snowdrops in the walled garden at Isauld.

The few bulbs that I can take without spoiling this little island of garden escapees will take some time to make a sweep, but they are treasures in their own right and all the more cherished for their surprise arrival.
This week has been full of pleasant surprises. An orchestra concert last night included an original composition based on the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu. Tonight, as part of the International Science Festival, I heard a slide lecture on the solar eclipse in 2006 in Egypt. It was a lovely blend of big and little stories--planetary alignments, broad sweeps of history,
and personal anecdotes and coincidences. The opening piece of the concert last night was entitled "The doorway to all understanding." That doorway might as plausibly be nestled inside a snowdrop as in the great temple.

Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Hayden said...

an opening within a snowdrop.

yes. our fore-mothers would certainly have recognized that idea, and kept a sharp eye out for fairy folk.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Are you old enough to remember a comic book that had a girl--Mary Jane, I htink back when Mary Jane meant nothing more than those shoes with straps across the front--as the main character and she had a magical friend that was small enbough to fit under mushrooms and flowers and such and she uttered a magic phrase and became as small as he was. I read that before Alice in Wonderland and long before Diane Gabaldon books, so I have been looking for fairy folk for a long time and oh my yes there are lots of places for them up here. Some say that the story about Pixies--small dark people living in holes in the grounds are based on descriptions of the Picts who spent a fiar bit of time no doubt hiding from the new folk.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Mary Jane would say, "Poof poof piffles, make me just as small as Sniffles."

Wonderful photos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home