Sunday, February 28, 2010

Portskerra Memorial View

A sunny Sunday was enough to prompt us out into the golden sun. First to church and attempts at visits--up here the old fashioned tradition of just dropping in is still observed. It allows people to be more spontaneous but it also means you may not find anyone at home. Today we didn't and so we ventured further into the west just the two of us.

After lunch in what was our local before we moved, I wanted to go to Portskerra--I've written about this little treasure spot before. This photo was taken from inside the enclosure around the memorial to the drownings. It is typical of the highlands--a sad note in a startling beautiful place cherished by the few people who find their way here. I make a point every time I visit of reading out loud the names on the memorial. Nothing but the wind to hear, but it feels like the right thing to do.

The memorial is atop a hill and the winds even on a mild day were enough to bring the tears to my eyes even bundled as I was with long coat and scarf and wool socks and hiking boots having replaced my church shoes.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 2:41 AM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

what a gorgeous view!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh yes, it is. And there is a spot just sort ofa round the corner from here--if we had corners, that is, that I think is even more beautiful. When you come, I'd like to take you there. It is a nice walk from one to the other along a coastal walk with a few more beautiful spots thrown in for good measure. I once came there and some visitors were standing there awestruck. It's like that.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

lovely, as is saying the names and casting their syllables out onto the wind...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home