Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Good Company



The new house offers many advantages over the old one, not least of which is that we can have people in for dinner and conversations or coffee and conversations or a drink and conversations. In case you hadn't figured it out by now, I love a good conversation. I was chuffed yesterday when a friend just dropped in on his way home from Wick. It was so good to see him. I popped the kettle on and we had some talking about nothing in particular.

The other night we had dinner with folks I had only spoken to in passing over the years. An opportunity to talk a bit more. They arrived with these lovely yellow tulips, so now every time I look at the tulips I enjoy not only their own loveliness but the recollection of a good evening and prospect of more such evenings.

The trade off is that the space we have to offer folks from America is smaller. I was reminded of this the other day when a good friend who has visited before said she and another friend would like to come and maybe spend part of their time here together. It's a great idea and 4 adults makes a nice combination for mixing interests and activities, but we don't have the space for them as we did in the farmhouse. There are lots of ways of resolving that space issue, but as I walked through the peat this morning I thought about trade offs. I'll write more about that tomorrow. Now I must get to town for chores and coffee morning with Newcomers to Catihness--most of whom are no longer newcomers.


5 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Hayden said...

Makes perfect sense to me. Now I have a farmhouse with all of the expansiveness that word generates, but I'm far from everyone with few visitors. In SF it was much harder to accommodate.

And conversation? It's the BEST. Sometimes I think it's why I learned to cook well. I've always figured I could tell the success of a dinner party by the loudness of the laughter and the lingering of my guests.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD TULIPS TOO // SCORRIE //

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh Hayden I try to imagine you and Jake in the midst of the woods, but I still thin k of you in your SF home.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

One of the things I most envied about the rich Brits of the past -- the country houses where one could have guests down for the weekend -- many of them -- as long as that twit Bertie Wooster wasn't there -- and one could visit with them... or not... as one pleased because there was sufficient room. My wife and I have already picked out a hotel near where Older Daughter and her husband live in case we ever visit for more than an hour or two (because that would pretty much mean we'd have to stay overnight) and we are NOT crashing on their couches....

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, Cur, those lovely weekend parties are about ideal, aren't they. I have spent my time sleeping on my daughter's couch and mos recently on an air mattress on her floor, so yup I know what you mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home