Sunday, February 21, 2010

Letter from a Friend

The words slipped as easily off the keyboard as any others in the perfect democracy of QWERTY, but landed heavily. "rare disease that has affected my lungs has reached my heart". She didn't say she was dying, but death swirled into the room while the music in the far room played a cheerful pop tune that conjured images of a red flowered chintz curtain blowing in a summer breeze. I wanted not to have read those words, but they sat there. They could not be ignored any more than the sarcoidosis.

The rules of engagement do not require that we be introduced to the likely agent of our demise, but, once having been introduced, we are somehow obliged to treat this uninvited acquaintance with some civility.

My friend has a team of 8 doctors involved in her complex care and good friends and family, so what can I contribute from so very far away? I hesitate, my hands on the keyboard, and then I send a little description of the view from my window where there is neither sarcoidosis nor hospital memories.

6 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

I am sorry.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Hayden said...

a generous response. we all need to hear about a view from some other window when our own view is difficult.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Russ Schwartz said...

I absolutely, positively, unequivocably hate hospitals! If I were being kept in one, I can think of few better gifts than one of your writings to take me away to a better place. Your friend is blessed to have a friend like you in her time of need!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Thank you all. I am lucky to have such generous spirits in my life. I would love to share with you all the view from my window.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

My father-in-law used to say, only a tiny bit joking, one should go to a hospital only if one was well enough to defend oneself.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUST CHECKING IN // SCORRIE //

 

Post a Comment

<< Home