Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Day Between Weathers


A day between weathers is what we might otherwise call a break in the weather. Today was one of those breathers. The snow has retreated; ice and snow linger only in cold patches hither and yon. As I walked the roadway along the moss this morning, my boots felt a little slip with each step; the temperature is still cold: ice is not far away. It nipped at my fingers as I pulled off the mitten tips to take these photographs.

The consolation prize for winters up here is that the light, although the days are short, is literally brilliant. I will leave the physics of it to someone else to explain, but in contrast to most winters, which have been unbearably drab, the moss here offers a feast of colours for winter-starved eyes.

As I walked along the edge of the moss, I heard the grouse calling to each other; the small birds twittered in the bushes, but there was no sign of ducks or swans back on the lochans even though the ice has dissipated. Perhaps they know better than we do that this is only a brief respite from the cold.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

Scotland is so much more colorful than Indiana. I'm envious (but only partly so, because of the cold and the long nights).

I'm very glad our friend took you by the hand and taught you a lot about digital cameras.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Just Country said...

What beautiful pictures. Need to work on getting my passport.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger scorrie said...

honours to Wm Wordsworth

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
The Greenland Moss now doth like a garment wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Heather, whins and rushes lie
Open unto the land and to the sky,
All bright and glittering in the Caithness air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt a calm so deep!
The country slumbers at its own sweet will:
And then it wakens from its sleep;
And all that mighty land is lying still!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home