Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats"

My friend Meg--shown above with her Shetland shawl--was going west to the little shop that sells some of her things, such as her shawl and she invited me to come along. The trip through the land out west is always a pleasure and Meg and I have not had many opportunities to talk uninhibitedly and exclusively the way you can on a road trip, so it was double delicious.

It turns out the little shop and post office is a beautiful cottage that I had once admired from the outside and had wanted to visit someday. Serendipity was working over time. And then we stepped into the shop and saw shelves full of lovely hand crafted things:


and books that are impossible or at least hard to get elsewhere.



The store is also a post office and the social centre of Skerray. One woman stopped in to give the details of a dog that had jumped all over her--and to get a biscuit for her own dog. The next visitor also came in on a dog biscuit run. He lingered and we all had a bit of good craic. Marilyn is the kind of person you find easy to talk to. The crocheted hats above (except the beret on the dummy) were made by her. I screwed up my courage and put a couple of my things in the store. Maybe they'll sell, but at least it will give me a good excuse to go back for a visit.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

Sounds like a good time with like-minded people. Hooray!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

I must drive over and take a lookie, havent been that way in years, not since I stopped working out that way in 1997. Bad me, must go see soon.
glad you like our north coast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home