Saturday, November 14, 2009

From a Dragon's Den: Independent Publisher Launches Today

The writing development officer for the highlands and islands has begun endorsing electronic publishing, so I think the Davids of the writing world are starting to line up with their wee sling shots at the Goliaths of the printing biz.

I just learned about a brave new publishing venture:

Dragon International Independent Arts (www.diiarts.com). They are dedicated to new writers and aspire to deliver books to readers with fewer barriers. That means they are trying to do it on their own without recourse to the big houses that take such a large slice of the pie.

They say on their web page that if big publishers are Tesco (Walmart, for US readers), then they are the farmer's market of publishing. I always have liked farmer's markets, so I am pleased to wish them Happy Birthday as they inaugurate their first books.

I bought May 1812 by MM Bennetts whose work I had the opportunity to read on Authonomy. If this author is typical of the kind of writing they include in their description of "books with character," then I am looking forward to more from them.

Happy Birthday, Dragon International Independent Arts, and many happy reviews!





Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

will visit there and see what's happening.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

I wish them good luck, but I do think it is a tough time for publishing in any guise. Let me know what you think.

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

The tone is just right in that it's informal and friendly and confident, but yet it's not unprofessional. The mysteries look as if they're at least OK. I'll try two of them. Not knowing what a pound is worth in American dollars, I had to visit a foreign exchange site to find out whether the books are expensive and they are not at all.

 
At 1:47 AM, Anonymous apiggy said...

Oops. I didn't do the math very well. I had the pound being more than the dollar and it's really less, so the books will cost more than I thought. Oh well, it's worth supporting an independent store and a new-tech effort like this, and one that--hopefully--has good authors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home