Friday, August 07, 2009

Rain

Yesterday the heat, although quite temperate for the season, was enough to send me intentionally dawdling trhough a sprinkler set to water parched grass and watering the sidewalk as well. For just that instant I captured the freedom of a child in the summer heat.

now the sky is gray and the air is heavy but still. That betokens rain. Much needed rain. As we walked back from the bookstore yesterday I saw that the river below us was low and slow moving. in the cities that can often mean that the oxygen level gets dangerously low for the fish trying to make their way. It seemed another example of the struggles with the economy here--everything seems at low ebb.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

But think about it... you were looking at the Chicago River and you were worried about fish! What a remarkable thing.

I remember -- having lived here my whole life -- when it was far more appropriate to worry about whether there was water in the river. It never quite seemed to freeze in the coldest of winters.... True, our river never burned, like the Cuyahoga did in Cleveland, but ours was a remarkable potpourri of evil chemicals all the same.

I hope you're enjoying your visit to Chicago... and I liked the 'fair warning' on the knitting post, too.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

I will be back in Chicago after my Indy foray for a few days. As I have said before, I like the fair city. Perhaps I was being optimistic about fish, but I figure any fish in there need all the help they can get!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home