Friday, June 26, 2009

Surprises in the Garden

A warm day up here brings out everything. I was drawn to the garden. The sun was so warm that my snuggled up in my lap cat sought the shelter of the bushes at the back of one of the unweeded flower beds in the walled garden. I suspect I'll be combing goosegrass seeds out of her fur this evening, but the warm earth and the cool leaves are worth it not doubt to her and certainly to me. I won;t even chide myself (much) for having an entire bed unweeded so that pesky goosegrass can have its way with her.

The long days make for rapid growth in this time of year, so my foxgloves have gone from a single tentative stem to several well developed flower heads.
Posted by Picasa



I spotted this little guy in the flower bed on the other side of the walled garden. I don;t recall making her acquaintance. If anyone can give her a name, I'd be grateful.



This iris started blooming the other day--a nice surprise. I thought the iris were so close together an possibly overcome with iris borer or slugs that they could never bloom, but this is one of the loveliest iris I have ever seen. And, when I went to photograph it, I discover it has an incredibly wonderful fragrance as well. If anyone can give me a name for this, I would appreicate that very much, too.



As we prepare for the "flit", I am taking cuttings or thinning bulbs or genrally trying to tidy up the garden and prepare for re starting from scratch. It makes me sadder to leave the garden than to leave the house.

Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

I was sad to leave my gardens too, when we moved 7 1/2 years ago. I kept some dried flowers in a glass that I still have--coneflower and something else that has a square stem. I'll remember the name later.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did not know just how much there is in an abandoned garden // surprises galore // iris is superb// scorrie

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The white, bearded iris is among the loveliest I have seen. I'm so glad you also discovered it's gentle, intoxicating scent. Our sidewalk tree has now grown so large that it shades the entire front garden, so no iris bloom there anymore. Determined, I put them in pots and moved them around the back yearall winter, chasing the bits of sun through the trees. Two of the them bloomed. Worth the work. I'll keep trying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home