Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More Fairy Dust than Tinkerbell

I saw just the last of the most recent Peter Pan movie and was horrified that it may have been billed as a movie for children. It was very very dark. At any rate, I noticed just how much fairy dust Tinkerbell was giving off so today as I was packing and sorting things in the upstairs room where I have my crafts and books and such, I noticed the vase that had been used at my wedding. It has been holding knitting needles--yes, I have a lot of them.

Coincidentally the wind was picking up again today.

The wind, the vase and fairy dust collided in my tired imagination in this way. The vase is galvanized --like those buckets we all used to have before plastic became king. I bought galvanized because I got married in a granary and the galvanized metal really looked nice. The florist who did all the flowers suggested spraying them with sprakly stuff to reflect the evening light and the candlelight. Great idea. Like so many great wedding ideas, it invovled more effort and took way more time than anyone expected. I wound up spraying the vases in my garage and rolling on the sparkly stuff, fairy dust. I then took them back to the florist and then in a flotilla of cars we took them to the wedding.

The florist warned me that the fairy dust would get all over everything. She was right. In my garage, my car, everyone's else's cars and on clothes and in hair. Despite packing and a long voyage, the article sleft fairy dust in the boxes, on the surrounding packing and hence in odd places even in Caithness.

Now Caithness wind can take the thoughts right out of your mind, so I got the idea that I might just set this vase out tonight as the wind picks up and see what the wind can do with it. If you are sleeping with the window open, you might think about closing it tonight unless you want some fairy dust to come your way.

5 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous ampiggy said...

I brought home some of those fairy-dusted galvanized cans, thinking I might use them as flower pots. But I just looked in our garage and I don't see them so I don't know where they are now. Anyway, every time I saw one, I would remember your wedding with happiness.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

I am glad the fairy dust continued to work its magic!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger scorrie said...

fairy dust is still around after nearly 5 years // cant get rid of it, but dont really want to either// scorrie //

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

I like the idea of fairy dust but I tend to thrive on the invisible kind, My daughter bought a sparkly hat which got left at grandmas last time and had survived, grandma tend to take anything not sensible and stored well to the charity shop, her argument is if you wanted it you should have packed it and taken it home!
Back to the hat, which had floated round her house as she meant to take it down and forgot or it was raining or... and had left a sprinkling of sparkles all round her house, making me smile as love shiiny, bright, and I must confess quietly bubbles. spent my holidays blowing bubbles, baking food, making sparkly pictures with the children.
lol ruan

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Ruan--I love the sparkly dust throughout your mom's house. I like to think all grandma's are like that. Sounds like a great holiday. Welcome home. Don;t forget SNB Aug 15th. Since I can't be there, I hope as many of you as can will be there. I am working o na knitting project that I wish I could bring to the table and have everyone talk about, but sigh I'll manage on my own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home