Monday, August 31, 2009

Eating American

I have been enjoying some of my old favourite eating places and discovering some new ones. I have a friend with whom I share a birthday and we have a tradition of eating out at foreign places--Indian, Turkish, Greek, Mediterranean melange, Vietnamese, and nouveau Italian was all we could manage on this trip. The night we were going to do the new Moroccan restaurant, we got entangled in something else. Now that's what eating American means to me--variety with iced tea, salads and coffee that gets refilled.

I also had a classic American burger and fries and fried chicken and barbecued ribs. All good and accessorized nicely with corn on the cob and fresh sliced, home grown, red ripe luscious, chin dribbling juicy tomatoes. I miss them already. Tonight, my last night here, we went to a local sandwich shop that makes sandwiches to order on large buns lightly toasted and brought them back home and ate them like an urban picnic in the living room as the last light settled out of the sky.

1 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I've often wondered what would be considered truly "American" food: Hamburgers, pizza and mac and cheese would have topped my list of guesses.

I remember reading an article about pizza a few years back: In Italy, pizza was peasant food. An Italian-American soldier in World War II, fluent in Italian, was treated cordially by the Italian officers he helped to interrogate until the day he let it slip that he sometimes had pizza at home. Then, his prisoners snubbed him. Surely, he was no gentleman.

Later, when a famous Italian film star first toured America (and I want to say it was Sophia Loren but, I suppose, it might have been Gina Lollibrigida; right now I don't remember) she was surprised to see pizza parlors in so many places. America must not be as rich as she'd been led to believe, she thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home