Thursday, January 17, 2008

Back on the Left Hand Side of the Road

I have been back in Caithness for nearly a week now. The first few days were like sleepwalking. Gradually I picked up pieces of my left-side of the road life and shrugged off the jet lag. After two days I decided it was time to drive again both to get my brain back into left-side thinking and to enjoy the country that I love.

Fortunately we had a sunny day and an excuse to go out into the countryside. I soon discovered that positional-cues helped me remember where to drive, and the how followed with the where. I was glad to discover that my sheep-avoiding behaviors were still well in place and I am sure the ewes seeking a bit of fresh green grass would have been grateful, too, if they had that sort of a brain.

I met with my knitting pals around a friend's kitchen table and stitched myself back into the conversation. It was remarkably easy to pick up the threads. And today I went down to the sea with a new friend and her dog. There is nothing the equal of a dog for the sheer joy of being in the world. Cats are marvelous for inquisitiveness and comfort and resourcefulness, but a dog bounding along with a stick in his mouth epitomizes glee.

Hugo chased sea birds and played fetch with large strands of sea weed and managed to find a dead rabbit, a dead fish, and a large sea bird--also dead. He found pleasure in these treasures, too. Admirable, at least from a safe distance.

6 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Heather L. said...

it's lovely hearing about Caithness. That was something missing in our Scottish experience -- being able to "live" in the country.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger ZACL said...

Welcome Home. I did try calling you before Christmas, now I know where you were. :)

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true about dogs. True of children too. When our daughter was around 6 or 7 I took her to the pond at Butler and when I saw her running happily down the path I said to myself, I'll always remember how happy she looks. And I have.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Country life definitely has its own style. DV it will be something that our children and grandchildren can continue to enjoy, but it is getting harder and harder.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Thanks, Zacl, yes coffee soon would be good!

Oh, yes, children and dogs. They boith give themselves so absolutely to the moment. I enjoyed watching one of Angela's granddaughters playing with her little dog Kelpie. It was a delight to watch the two of them in action.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the way you write -- it is like being there! You are a breath of fresh air. Thanks for writing! I love the word picture of the happy dog. I've got one snoring on my pillow right now and you are right, "There is nothing the equal of a dog for the sheer joy of being in the world". Happy Knitting and Writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home