Monday, December 03, 2007

White Cap Wind

The wind picked up last night. It swirled huffing around the house and made it impossible to ignore it as it pushed a chair along the deck clearly in sight of us all as we sat in the cozy kitchen. We reassured the animals that it was just a wind that would quickly blow itself out. The words spoken out loud were as much a comfort to us as to them.

My sister says the weather reports gusts up to 45 miles per hour. When does a gust become something less benign sounding, I wonder. Back on the Pentland Firth, when we see white caps on the water, or white horses as some call them because they do look like the flashing manes of a horse running, we know the wind is about 50 miles per hour. It may be slightly less on shore, but the white horses let us know that we need to bundle up against the wind, park cars pointing into the wind, and hold on to car doors when we get in and out of the cars.

After all my years as Hoosier, it struck me as odd that I should try to make sense of the weather here in the cornfields by what I have so recently learned in a country now very far away. Today in the first officially very cold day of winter, I am content to see the universal signs of genuine winter: the cats lie down with the dogs. Instead of snuggling in the sun spots and lounging luxuriously around the kitchen, the cats have selected their favorite dogs and curled up in tight little balls on their dog blankets. The dogs compete with each other for the best bed spots and move into a rotation to keep spots warm: as one dog goes out, another moves into the spot he left. Some things are universal.

5 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

today was the first day my teeth hurt when I went outdoors. maybe that will be my official sign that it's winter weather.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh boy, yes, teeth hurting is another one of those inevitable signs of winter's power.

I'm looking forward to snow tonight--if it starts after I am home and watching from the inside out.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

I adore snow... when I'm safely inside, with no need to go out.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Hayden, today we got our snow day. I watched most of the day from the safety of inside but I had to take my sister's black lab out for a romp in it. We had a great time with him chasing and retrieivng snowballs and giving a baffled look when they disappeared in his mouth. 13 degrees now which is a bit nippy but tomorrow promises to be sunny and a bit less cold.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

ROMPING in the snow is fine! Fun! Exhilerating! It's when you have to go somewhere and don't want to that it's miserable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home