Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Did you make any?

Have you broken any already?

I out loud resolved not to write any more important things on the backs of little pieces of paper that I invariably lose. OK, it was easy, but who said they have to be hard.

To myself I resolved to actively pursue writing opportunities. I submitted two children's stories for a competition/oportunity. Today when I got a reminder of a short story competition, I set myself to the task of writing it.

I say this to you to encourage me to keep going, to say thanks to all of you who have encouraged me in my writing, and to explain why I may be a bit quiet here for the next few days.

Lastly, a question.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid the inner turmoil that comes from writing cover notes or descriptions of yourself? I have always disliked doing that, so any tips on how to deal with it would be very much appreciated. Those cover letters sometimes take longer than writing the stories themselves.

8 Comments:

At 3:37 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

THANK YOU for saying the cover crap is HARD! I wrote a story 2 years ago that I absolutely LOVE - still - and haven't submitted it simply because I haven't been able to force myself to learn/do the required cover crap. I managed to poke at it a couple of times, but not get it done. the story was wonderful fun - writing it was exhilerating and simply the best fun - but.....

so, no; no tips. but I'm glad that it isn't only me that thinks its hard. misery loves company etc.

I recently read that the best advice for men is to set goals, but the best advice to women is to announce their resolutions and get support.....

according to the scientists, you are on the right track, and I will pledge to remind and encourage you from time to time.

mine are all goals.... not resolutions per se

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Mark Newton said...

Write it like you are writing your obituary. Then you emphasize not what you did, but what you want to be remembered for doing. It works, unless you can't write that about yourself, either :)

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

forget about yourself // do it for that other person whom you know just as you would for any other person who asked you to do them a special favour // and you would do it well too // scorrie //

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Thanks for all your comments. First, Hayden, thanks for letting me know I am not alone in my reluctance. That feels better somehow. I dunno. Is it that misery loves company thing or what?

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, Mark that is good idea but I gotta admit at first it kinda gave me the creeps cuz one of the things that scares me about cover notes is that they seem so important.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Yup, scorrie, doing it for someone else is often what motivates me to get outside mysself and just do it. Well, I'll have another one to do in a couple weeks so I'll try to keep all this advice in mind.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do it as if you were someone else writing about you.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another approach is to pretend someone else wrote about you and left out X achievement or Y job. Would you be disappointed or not? If yes, then include it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home