Tuesday, March 31, 2020

A Little Garden Walk

It's cold. The wind is blowing like it still holds a grudge from an old argument, but the garden is stirring into life. So here's a bit of a virtual walk about in the garden today.
Why start with a sleeping cat? Thanks to my hard working cats, I dont have too much to worry about with mice, and I keep the birds out of their reach. Sheba has earned a wee rest.

OK, now my garden pals, I am sure that your fingers will twitch into the compulsive weed pulling, but look aside from that if you can. I offer first a weed-free photo to get you ready. Primula and daffodils do well up here. These brave little daffies have been going strong for a month now and the primula, which starts out as a squat flower to take a reading of the weather, has stretched out. We can take that as a good sign--all of us who like to look for optimism in our gardens.

Not surprisingly, Hellebores, which cheerfully bloom in January, do well here, too. They enjoy the company of the  primula that started them all--primula veris or cowslip.

My wee pond has a newt! I accidentally disturbed him when twirling for pond scum (aka filamentous algae). I hope for more wildlife this year. It would make very happy if some frogs decided to make this their home and avoid crossing the road from the lochans on the moss on the other side. The welcome mat is out to amphibians of any persuasion. (I have a toad in the chicanery somewhere. He shows up from time to time.)


The 'garden room'-- a rocking bench--as close as I can get to a front porch. The green man looks after us here in this sheltered spot. It is possible--occasionally--to sit out of the wind and find sun. Not often, but that makes it all the more welcome.

Lastly, two photos of hard working Jackie, the former shower, jacuzzi, steamer thingie from the bathroom. Disassembled and reassembled she is doing yeoman service as a cold frame. She doesnt stay warm enough to be a proper greenhouse, but look at all the wee green things she is keeping comfortable.


2 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Just Country said...

It looks very promising

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

Am trying to grow things here too, but mine are not so well on as yours, and is mainly food! Spring is trying and I think once we have leaves I will feel much better about the garden! in fact, I should get my cherry blossom first but not too soon as we are due snow for thursday! Keep well and safe <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home