Thursday, July 04, 2019

Lost and Found in Achvarasdal

Achvarasdal is a little remnant woods. Treasures are often things left behind that survive on their own. Achvarasdal is a bit like that. The former estate that planted the trees has become an old people's home. Both the people and the trees can be overlooked until or unless someone introduces you to them.

I wandered into the woods one day because it was close enough to my new home that I could find it on my own. If we had streets and blocks and corners, I would say that it is just down the street and around the first corner. In the States I fell into a conversation akin to the Abbot and Costello who's on first when I replied to Morris's question: "How far is it?" with "About 6 blocks." He tried again, "How far is it?" "About 6 blocks." And then after a long silence, "What's a 'block'?" Achvarasdal is close by city or country standards. I can walk from my house to there, but my First Solo Car Ride was to the woods. I was aching to see trees and listen to their quiet, secret conversations.

I walked into the woods holding a brochure from the library with a map and a description of the woods. No more than a few feet into the woods I ran into a couple coming out. The man was overjoyed to see me with a brochure of the woods. We talked. I was invited to join the woodlands management group. I had been introduced to the treasure of this little woods and cheerfully became a part of it. My First Solo Car Ride and my First Friends on my own are woven into the treescape.

Since I first wrote this piece, which has been languishing in my draft folder, I have taken several guided walks into Achvarasdal to learn about birds and bats and trees and lichens. It has provided opportunities to attend conferences of other community woodland managers.

1 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

What a lovely post I must confess to not knowing where the woods are but I will find them. I love your distance measure, my mum used to use places in the village, its as far as the bakers, or down to the cricket pitch away was one distance she once gave me in the middle of town, you head down the high street until you have gone as far as the cricket pitch then turn left! :-) which I knew where she meant so it was fine, always wondered what anyone hearing us would think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home