Friday, October 05, 2012

Harvest Season

It is a time of golden light and hurrying to gather in supplies before winter and the long dark.  These are bales from my friends and neighbours down the road.  I stopped a week or so ago when the light was just right.  The photos languished in my camera and then in my computer.  I have been doing more dawdling lately, yet fitting in little chores, especially working on my hats and getting some clutter cleared up. 

I missed the Scottish Book Trust deadline for haikus for the seasons for National Poetry Day, but as I walked along today with cattle for company I conjured a haiku for this season:

bales of golden grass
antidotes for long dark nights
byre dreams of green





5 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

It's a beautiful picture. I remember, though, when hay bales were rectangular, box-shaped....

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Ruan Peat said...

Wrote a poem last week where i likened the bales scattered across the fields like thrown down lego bricks of toys forgotten in the cold.
and yes I saw some square bales but big! 4 foot by 5 foot by 12 foot ones! giant children to play with them! doubt I could shift one let alone lift one like I used to for the horses!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

I remember rectangular bales, too. More useful for sitting on and stacking. When I first saw these giant round bales my brother dubbed them giant shredded wheat.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

I remember rectangular bales, too. More useful for sitting on and stacking. When I first saw these giant round bales my brother dubbed them giant shredded wheat.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger scorrie said...

first field with big new combine at West Greenland // scorrie //

 

Post a Comment

<< Home