Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Down to the Harbour

Today the sky was a tease--sunshiny and then showery and still a bit cold, but you could smell the earth starting to stir. We headed into town looking for a bacon buttie and then we were going to hit the road for someplace. Along the way, we noticed a large, flat-topped boat being towed into Scrabster. We re-routed our trip to the cafe by the harbour to watch the boat come in.

After bacon, we went to the harbour and watched the ship and the water. In one way, it is very different from my old life, but in a larger sense, it is very much the same. Long ago when the world was more innocent, I used to like to drive with friends out to the airport and watch the planes come in and take off.


For a look at the Scrabster harbour, check out this web site:

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/

I'll let you know tomorrow what the large, flat-topped boat was carrying. Just in case you are curious, too.

2 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I used to go to the airport, too.

After Younger Daughter was born, I walked the older kids over to the 'el' -- which isn't elevated at that point, running instead down the Kennedy median -- and took them to O'Hare to wander around... and give Long Suffering Spouse an hour or two to catch her breath. I think we could actually go out to the gates in those days... I know we got to look at the jets up close and personal.

It's a form of wishful thinking. You look at a train or a plane or a boat and a part of you goes with it on a journey... probably a more interesting journey than is actually happening.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, Cur, I thought you might be of the same generation to go watch airplanes.

I had not thought of that wishful thinking element though that certainly is true. It can also have a thank heavens I'm not traveling when you get back home. And, yes, odds are, the trip was more interesting from the outside than the inside, but my imagination went into overdrive as I watched the planes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home