Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Driving Home in a Howling Gale

I know 'howling gale' is not an official designation on the Beaufort scale, but Beaufort was an admiral, so he would not use such alarmist language. The truth is, a gale does howl above a certain frequency. I don't know what frequency that is or what velocity of wind that it represents--sometimes physics does take second place to descriptive language. The bottom line is, whatever the speed of the wind, you don't want to be out in it.

At 5:15 this am, I was alerted to the possibility of gales by my faithful shipping forecast. My schedule was set, so I knew I would be out late--well, late relative to my normal bucolic schedule. The question was not whether the gale would come our way but whether it would get here before I got home. It did.

The 10 miles home meant wind and rain wind and freezing rain and wind and hail and then just wind--the howling wind.

Despite a bit of white knuckle driving, the weather suited my mood. I felt like howling, so I sang along with the wind and felt much better for it.

4 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howl away, girl!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh ooooo whooo
or however one makes a polite howling sound.

Better weather today. Still huffy but not as much falling out of the sky. How many days now til countdown day?

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would love to come down my road in the high wind, the noise the trees make when the wind gets above 50 mph is like a jet plane taking off! and the noise rises as the wind does! this is annoying but as I spent 4 years in the heathrow flight path I just mumbel and turn over now if woken at night. BTW have new fishermans knits to tempt you with, shall drop out next week if I get chance :-)
the wind is the reason you can spot the new comer up here by the umbrella!
lol ruan

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, Ruan, I can imagine the sound of jets taking off being very disconcerting. From flight path of Heathrow to here must be quite a switch. I'd like to hear that story some time.

OOh more fishermen's knits. My fingers are a twitching. Are you free during the day? Angela and I frequently meet in the Pentland Weds--lunch time. Can you join us? I need to give back Munro book to Louise's mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home