Friday, October 31, 2008

Fending Off the Cold with a Good Book

A good book is an excellent antidote to cold weather. Especially if reading it involves curling up somewhere comfy and warm with a cuppa in hand.

After years of reading everything from comic books and cereal boxes to dog eared paperbacks tucked into pockets or purses, I am being dragged into the 21st century. My reading now includes authonomy--an online web site where good writers (and some maybe not as good) compete for the attention of the editors of a publishing company. For a good read--even though it is harder to get comfy with a computer, I recommend this link on authonomy:

http://www.authonomy.com/ReadBook.aspx?bookid=2353#chapter




6 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Let me see... people put up sample chapters of their novel-in-progress on a publisher's web site... who uses the samples to attract others... has a built-in community of readers to see what works might sell... and has no obligation to offer nothing to anyone for participating....

Would another publisher buy a work when chapters 2 through 6 are on this website?

I don't know about this.....

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Good questions, Cur. I don't know the answer, I saw comments from one writer whose books were being read by another publisher. I think basically any of us writers are in a buyer's market. My guess is the chapters don't stay on the website after they have been evaluated by Harper Collins (one way or the other.
I guess tho that maybe the same argument applies to blogs?
I dunno. I like the way you think; makes me re-think things.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Oh, gosh, don't let me put you off. I know I'm far too negative. If you keep up with the site, I'll certainly be interested in your further evaluation.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

Oh, no worries, Cur. None of my material is there. I am still working on a collection of short stories --the link is to a novel. I may upload some thigns later but I am cautious.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

sure was lively in your old home town last night... or so the reports said...

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Hee hee, yes, Hayden, Grant Park was definitely abuzz. I only now got around to writing about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home