Monday, April 14, 2008

Whins and Beach Watching

As my friend said as she looked at this photo of whins (gorse), I don't like yellow, but... The hillsides now are full of this outrageous yellow bush. It makes a lovely respite from the greyness of a damp spring and seems to go with the dark beige-brown purple of the heather that usually is close by.



The best part of the whins in wild bloom like this is the lovely fragrance. From such a showy flower, you might expect an overpowering scent. Instead the fragrance is a soft-buttey coconut chardonnay that invites you to come closer for a deep smell. Do so very cautiously because the stems are full of prickly thorns.

The beach at Betty Hill is a long flat swath of sand that makes fascinating patterns as the tide comes in and out. Sunday the sun was warm but there was a slight breeze. I had coffee from the dining room of the hotel overlooking this piece and was intrigued by the giant S shape created by the two pools of water. The waves on the larger pool echoed the S pattern of the two watery bits. I watched with all the simple joy of a child until it was time to drive the rest of the way home.




6 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

Lovely. It's in those simple things that I take the most pleasure.

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember with great pleasure our walk at Betty Hill Beach. It was a beautiful day.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger TerriRainer said...

How gorgeous is that????

I envy you, but it doesn't seem that you take for granted the beautiful country you now call home.

:) Terri

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

It's the forsythia I wait for... the forsythia closely followed by the lilacs. When we have lilacs (in early May in our part of Chicago) I know it's nearly Oldest Son's birthday.

He doesn't much care about the coincidence.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

I hope never to take this place for granted and yup the simple things are the best.

oh, yes, forsythia! I had one right by the side of my driveway so I saw it morning and evening even if I saw nothing else in my yard.
I thin k in time your son will like the association between his birthday and lilacs. He may say it to a girlfriend who thinks it shows his sensitive side. That's my prohoecy at any rate!

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cur, when grown, children often remember and mention things their parents said, that they once thot silly. I hope your son does that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home