Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Vikings Have Landed

Vikings have landed and they are in the living room. First the disclaimers: Vikings never wore those horned helmets, and viking is actually a verb, meaning to go wandering or exploring (or pillaging and plundering depending on who is writing the definition). More properly, I should say: "Norsemen are in the living room," but that lacks a certain frisseur. When the doorbell rang, I was in my pajamas, so I quickly scurried upstairs. By the time I came down, Morris and the Norwegians were in the living room. They were here because they come from Voss, in Norway, where my husband's sister lives, and had been referred to us as part of their mission to explore this part of Scotland in advance of the first major landing of the Norrona in the nearby harbor of Scrabster.

Norsemen have been doing this for a few centuries in this part of the world, but they didn't used to ring doorbells. These Norsemen are reporters for the local paper in Voss and they want to write up what features this part of the world offers to those who might want to take the ferry that will make its way from Norway to here and to the Faroe Islands and to Shetland, and to Iceland. I am pleased that they are here and also pleased that the Norrona will be coming into Scrabster harbor--just 10 miles from here.

I am pleased because having come from Indiana, I relish every opportunity to get on the sea and to go, well, a viking. I am here, in part, because Norwegians in Cayman told my brother that we are part of the Norwegian clan that inhabited this part of Scotland. I am also pleased because I have friends who also have enough viking wanderlust in them to want to meet us in Reykjavik and explore the parts of Iceland mentioned in the epic sagas. Recently when I was mumping about being sick again with the shingles, my friend reminded me of our upcoming adventure. It was just what I needed to cheer me up. And now as my enthusiasm was in danger of being swamped with anti-virals and malaise, the Norsemen arrived.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Vikings (aka Norsemen) are sexy. I'm sure you do too.

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so // vikings in the living room indeed // they are hot stuff so to cool them down we serve them COLD COFFEE // SAFER THAN AQUAVIT // they also know sister Isobel in Voss in Norway // so we feel at home with them // scorie //

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger landgirl said...

I think they are sexy. Isn't it interesting that Vikings almost always connote men. Well, I know we will have the opportunity to check out the fairer sex too on our upcoming visit.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Hayden said...

I didn't know that! I like the idea of going a' viking!

3 young Norse students stayed with my X and I for two weeks many years ago. I couldn't get over how drop-dead gorgeous all 3 were, and how very very sexy. One girl was a lithe pixy with brown hair and laughing brown eyes, one girl was buxom, blond, blue eyed w/ a sort of overwhelmed innocence about her, and the young man was rail thin, tall and strongly built and made me think of - what I thought were the old Vikings. Now I know I was thinking of the viking Norse.

Always have wondered if they were three unusually beautiful young people, or if they were somewhat typical.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

I have yet to meet an unattractive norther. I'm sure there are some, but I'll get a closer look this summer, I hope.
I thought of you today as I started with "just one weed"... Sigh. I took many of them today but they outnumber me. Tomorrow is another day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home