Friday, April 06, 2007

Simple Pleasures


Ilse Bing took this photo in 1947. I liked it for the easy way that the two women have with each other and with their knitting. They are relaxed and leaning in close to each other for gossiping or story telling or comments about the yarn or the creations in their hands or in companionable silence.
Knitting may be another one of Islam's gifts to European civilization although twiddling with textiles in many different varieties has been around for a long long time.
While looking for this photo, I discovered a bevy of knitting blogs. I was overwhelmed. I'll be back to look at patterns or get ideas or listen to other knitter's stories, but there is no substitute for the real thing--both the knitting and the real time, interactive, old fashioned in person conversation.
Morris took this photo of my friend and knitting buddy, Angela, as we sat in a sunspot in her yard, knitting and talking until the sun moved on.

Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alls well // sleep on my friends // knit one purl one // what is it? // well, we do not know yet, but certain sure something will emerge sometime // scorrie //

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Just Country said...

Allow me to say. The two of you make for a prettier picture.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Thanks, just country. We need to believe in progress. I'll bet our knitting is better, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home