Monday, July 23, 2007

Venison, Vampires, and Chocolate

Four years ago I was a vegetarian. Tonight I dithered between the venison or the lamb on the menu at our regular without skipping a beat. We have not been to our regular or any of our other haunts for many weeks. Morris and I have spent the last six days picking up the threads of our regular routine. It feels a bit like waking up from a nap or returning all the colour in a landscape that had gone sepia toned. I am glad to feel the colour and the shape of our life returning.

Conversation over the venison includes pieces of his trip to Helmsdale to see Alex Salmond dedicate a statue to emigrants, my day in town, and my current assignment from writing group: vampires. I did not read the Lestat series, but I was belatedly hooked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and my childhood knowledge includes all the Dracula films. Even so, I might have balked at the assignment if I had not been emboldened by a draft of a novel from my daughter. I enjoyed reading it immensely and allowed it to loosen the hinges of my writerly gates. I managed 1500 words in a single session this morning, but I knew that only chocolate could give me the energy to keep it going.

Red wine and chocolate sustained me for 6 weeks of writing a long, complex proposal for the money to keep open the doors of the high tech start up where I was working. I wonder briefly if I could keep that pace again? So much has changed since those days. But for tonight the chocolate needs only fuel my muse sufficiently to get Doris of the living dead on to her next adventure.

7 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Did Doris need chocolate as well as blood to keep going?

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

oooh great post - found you through linking at Shelly's "toadally talking."

Love Scotland - never been there tho... my ancestors are from there.

take care and happy Tuesday!

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Yup, Cur. Chocolate for Doris and for me, too.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Hi, shelby. Welcome to Scotland. Do you know whereabouts in Scotland your ancestors are from? I was amazed when I found out how many American families have Scottish ancestors in their family tree. I am living in the very north of Scotland.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Shelby said...

thanks for your comment a little bit ago - as far as my law school dream - - I wrote a post a while back.. might help understanding my perspective .. it's at

http://shelbydupree.blogspot.com/2007/05/law-school.html

thanks.. Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Cori said...

Ah, yes...Red wine and chocolate have served me well for many final projects. I also got hooked on watching BTVS well after the end of its tv life. What a fun show with loads of linguistic and philosophical issues! Will you be posting your vampire chronicle for us to enjoy?

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger landgirl said...

Hello, Cori! I think the last time we had dinner together it included red wine. I don't know what Doris will wind up being or doing. I may just send it along to you since you share my buffy addiction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home